Staff Backend Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, May 2, 2023
About Cambly: Our mission is to bring high quality English education to every English learner in the world at the touch of a button. Think of us as the Airbnb that matches English students with English tutors and come help us build the world’s largest English learning marketplace and school.
We're currently looking for a talented, community-building Staff Backend Engineer who:
- aspires to deliver a world-class consumer-facing experience
- has expertise in scaling Python backends and codebases supporting millions of users
- enjoys helping others be great
- shares our passion for having an impact in the personal and professional lives of others.
If this sounds like you, here’s what you’ll do:
In this role, you’ll lead fast-moving initiatives to improve our learning experience. You’ll determine when we should be building for scale and when we should keep things simple. Other backend engineers will come to you as a sounding board on critical technical decisions and designs. As our team and codebase scales, you’ll be responsible for making sure we’re making the right investments to keep moving quickly shipping features that keep our students learning and our pagers quiet.
- You have 8 years or more experience building and shipping python backend features quickly as part of a team
- You’ve tech led teams designing, building, and scaling high availability production infrastructure.
- Experience working with MongoDB (or other databases) in production.
- A passion for learning. You fearlessly dive into new and unfamiliar technologies.
- A product-minded approach to engineering. You should be excited about working directly with our students, tutors, and our international team to make sure students have an amazing experience.
Life @Cambly includes...
- Cash Flow Positive for the greater part of the last 6 years - check us out in Forbes
- 60M VC backed but haven't touched any of it - check out why Bessemer invested in us
- Hybrid First Company (M, T, Th)
- Catered Lunches
- 100% of Medical, Dental, and Vision paid along with matching 401k
- Maternity and Paternity Paid Leave
- 20 days of true, unbothered PTO
- End-of-year shutdown
- Family-friendly environment with amazing WLB and Culture
- Helping others around the world unlock economic opportunities by learning English
This role is based in the San Francisco Bay Area, and the expected base salary range for this position is as shown below. The actual base pay is dependent upon a variety of job-related factors such as professional background, training, work experience, business needs and market demand. Therefore, in some circumstances, the actual salary could fall outside of this expected range. This pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. All full-time employees are also eligible for equity compensation and for benefits.
$160,000-$220,000 USD Base Salary + Pre-IPO Stock Options
Also: We are proud to be a highly inclusive company and an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We believe in order to thrive, businesses need a diverse team and leadership. We welcome every background, identity, abilities, and mindset to join us on our mission to make high-quality English education for all. Everyone is welcome here.
See more open positions at Cambly
Something looks off?