Vice President of Data & Analytics Platform Engineering
At Forge (NYSE: FRGE), we know our team is our greatest asset. As technology innovators in the private market, our vision is to deliver a richer future for everyone. We live that vision through our values of being bold, humble and accountable. We experience the value that our vision brings to the world every day, helping the teams behind the greatest innovations of our generation, from space travel to planet-saving, plant-based nutrition and more.
Our mission is to empower more people to exercise ownership in the world’s leading private companies via a world-class technology platform with access to the largest network of buyers and sellers in the world. With liquidity solutions, exclusive data and insights, a custody offering, and a vibrant marketplace, Forge’s goal is to build the best-in-class technology infrastructure to power a global private market that is transparent, accessible and seamless for companies, their employees and investors. Through Forge, employees can sell their private shares, employers can reward shareholders with pre-IPO liquidity and individual and institutional investors can participate in private unicorn growth.
Forge's differentiated global marketplace addresses rising demand among individual and institutional investors for exposure to private company stocks and it is building a growing network effect with defensible competitive advantages. The Forge marketplace has over 440,000 registered users and private shares have traded in more than 500 companies since inception, representing over $12 billion in volume across over 21,000+ transactions.
Our ability to offer these powerful financial solutions has generated incredible interest from investors, demand from customers, and a need to grow our team to meet the needs of more companies, teams and innovators in this way. You can learn more about Forge in the following video: “The private market future starts now”.
Forge provides unique and differentiating data products to allow more people to participate in the private market. We are seeking a talented and passionate VP of Data and Analytics Engineering. As the VP, you will be responsible for the evolution, and efficiency of the Forge Data Platform and its capabilities. Come join our dynamic team, where you'll have the opportunity to make a significant impact by leveraging data, data science, and machine learning to drive innovation and allow more people to participate in the private capital market.
You’ll have the primary accountability for the organization’s data and analytics program to drive value across the whole company. This includes the creation and management of an enterprise Data, AI, and Analytics strategy and team, and the execution of related programs and practices that drive measurable business outcomes.
The ideal candidate will bring significant experience in running a data platform as a product, navigating senior leadership, product and business stakeholders, and building high performing teams. If you’re aligned to our core values of being bold, accountable, and humble and want to build at a more transparent private market, we’d love to hear from you!
Location: Hybrid with occasional travel to our San Francisco, CA and/or New York, NY offices
- Engineering / technical owner of the platform and delivery channels, including data-driven insights and use cases that help support both the needs of external clients and internal stakeholders
- Own the vision and delivery of the Forge Data Platform and Delivery Channels of Data
- Recruit, onboard, and manage teams of engineers that embody our core values
- Build partnerships with key stakeholders to establish the vision for managing data as a business asset to exploit data and analytics capabilities to drive business outcomes.
- Work with business and technical stakeholders and be empathic to their needs and formulate technical strategies that align with our product outcomes and collaborate with Product Management to incorporate those into the roadmap.
- Establish and maintain trust in data assets by implementing a data governance framework for data and algorithms uses for analysis, analytical applications and decision making. Have governance and a compliance posture that reduces overall risks, such as Business Continuity Plans.
- Drive the adoption and application of machine learning & AI related technologies to enhance our platform and stay updated on emerging trends and advancements in machine learning, AI, and related technologies, and apply them to enhance the platform
- Lead engineering thinking around providing data & analytics products for the private market ecosystem and maintain a deep involvement in critical technical decisions, have a vision for the future which aligns with the overall tech org.
- Integrate third party data sources as we add channels, data partners and other vendors.
- Work closely with Product and Engineering to ensure product changes integrate well with the existing systems.
- Leverage metrics to drive optimizations in the platform that achieve key outcomes
- Maintain a zero-trust posture of our data platform
- Lead engineering thinking around providing data products in the private market
- Adopt the existing agile process and engineering principles & practices, and evolve the process with other Engineering and Product leaders
- Maintain a deep involvement in critical technical decisions, have a vision for the future which aligns with the overall tech org
- Expert level understanding of either Java, .NET, Ruby, SQL, or Python
- At least 5 years of experience managing engineering teams > 10 people
- At least 15 years of experience as an engineer with 5+ years building data platforms and information technology
- At least 5 years of experience at a fintech or finserv company
- Master’s degree in an analytical discipline such as Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Finance, or Computer Science
- Experience designing and building data APIs or data solutions with intermediate or above understanding of application architecture
- Working experience using public cloud platforms AWS or Heroku
- The ability to function equally well as both a leader and an individual contributor in a lean / agile environment
- Experience with creating Financial Data Products, such as Indexes
- The ability to analyze and present statistical information
- Experience with Data Pipelines, Machine Learning Pipelines, Feature Engineering
- Experience with large-scale distributed systems such as Data Streaming, Hadoop, Spark, Data Lakes, Iceberg etc.
- Advanced expertise in building data solutions in public equities, commodities, derivatives, or private markets
- Languages: Ruby on Rails, Typescript, SQL. Although not strictly a coding position, some coding will likely be required in the first year
- Frameworks: AWS SQS, AWS Lambdas, Serverless stack, Node, React
- Experience with Miro, Git, confluence, Circle CI, and JIRA
- Familiarity with multiple web and data pipeline frameworks
- Experience integrating with API providers
- Eagerness to learn, personal curiosity and interest in the Private Equity/Venture Capital ecosystem and associated secondary market
For residents of San Francisco/Bay Area, CA and New York, NY the annual salary range for this role is $280,000 - $300,000 + bonus + equity. Final offers may vary from the amount listed based on geography, candidate experience and expertise, annual bonus, and other factors.
Forge implements a mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, which applies to all employees. All employees covered by this policy are required to be fully vaccinated as a term and condition of employment at Forge. Employees are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after completing primary vaccination with a COVID-19 vaccine, with, if applicable, at least the minimum recommended interval between doses. Employees must provide truthful and accurate information about their COVID-19 vaccination status, and, if applicable, their testing results as of the first date of their employment.
Employees may request an exception from this mandatory vaccination policy if the vaccine is medically contraindicated for them or medical necessity requires a delay in vaccination. Employees also may be legally entitled to a reasonable accommodation if they cannot be vaccinated because of a disability, or if the provisions in this policy for vaccination conflict with a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. All such requests will be handled in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
Forge is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.