Assistant General Counsel (Remote, US - West Coast)
Who We Are
OhmConnect was founded to help bring 100% clean energy to everyone. We are solving massive inefficiencies in energy markets, changing how people use and view energy, and connecting smart homes with the smart grid. We build products that connect deeply with consumers and invite them to take action to positively impact the planet, their communities, and their wallets.
We are an Equal Opportunity employer striving to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment where everyone feels that they have a voice that is heard.
We strongly encourage candidates to check out our website at www.ohmconnect.com to learn more about the world-changing work we are doing.
OhmConnect is seeking an experienced lawyer to provide sound, practical and actionable legal advice and business leadership. This role will focus primarily on commercial agreements, strategic partnerships and other transactions that help deliver consumer energy solutions and enable the company’s participation in energy markets, and the ideal candidate will have experience with smart home or clean energy products. The position also will play a generalist role and work dynamically across the traditional in-house portfolio with minimal supervision, including supporting all departments and functions with legal review and advice, as well as on broader strategic issues and issues of first impression.
This position will report to the General Counsel and be a key member of the company’s legal team. It requires a general understanding of commercial, corporate, intellectual property, transactional, compliance, and energy regulatory matters, and will work closely with a broad range of department leaders to achieve business objectives, mitigate risks, and meet legal obligations. The position will include helping develop and drive agreements to completion while working cross-functionally with stakeholders.
This is an ideal role for a business-forward in-house energy lawyer with leadership skills to help optimize the legal function in an innovative, mission-driven company and help fight climate change as we scale. This role is remote but candidates must be based on the West Coast, and we have a strong preference for someone based in or near the San Francisco Bay Area. Some domestic travel will be required for this position.
What you will do
- Review, negotiate and advise on a wide range of commercial agreements and strategic partnerships that help deliver consumer energy solutions and enable the company’s participation in energy markets
- Provide timely, pragmatic legal advice to the Revenue, Business Development, Product, Market Development, Policy and other teams to achieve business objectives
- Advise company leadership on legal considerations around strategic business decisions and support negotiations of transactions
- Support the company’s IP protection initiatives and advise on IP issues
- Support the company’s regulatory compliance program and strengthen related policies
- Assist with compliance filings and submissions in regulatory proceedings
- Help effectively manage outside counsel’s delivery of legal services
- Support and manage special projects as required