Senior Manager, Business Development Japan
Sales & Business Development
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2023
#GreatMindsDon’tThinkAlike At Uber, we take pride in our diversity and working environment that sees you as more than just a person that can do the job, but a unique individual that can level up our organization with a perspective only you can offer. Uber provides a truly open culture that encourages all to voice their thoughts. About The TeamThe BD team works on some of the biggest and most impactful charters at Uber including Consumer, Membership, Payments, Travel, Supply and Sustainability partnerships. We are at the core of the business strategy, giving you the chance to work with global and cross functional stakeholders. We #SeetheForestandtheTrees by understanding the big picture of partner selection, the strategic importance of a deal and the impact it will drive for Uber and the partner. About The RoleAs Uber continues to expand its services and technologies around the world, the Business Development team is looking for a senior-level Manager to grow our Japan Uber partnerships portfolio.This role will be heavily focused on partnerships that drive growth through partners with Uber Eats outside of restaurants and partners with Uber Rides. In this role you'll be responsible for seeking strategic partners, contract negotiations, lead the project, and influencing partner’s senior executives. You will help define the ecosystem of potential partners & develop the value proposition for how Uber can add value to the partner and the prospective customer. This role will require a combination of strategy development with more tactical project-based activities while managing partners’ senior executives.This is a highly cross-functional role, as you will collaborate with internal teams across operation, marketing, product, legal, comms, finance and engineering locally, regionally and globally.This is an individual contributor role as a member of a high performing team reporting to the Director of Business Development, Japan. You will own your partnerships end to end including partner’s C-level stakeholders management. Your Impact in Role
- Collaborate with Japan Uber Eats and Rides leadership to formulate strategy and identify how to deliver business priorities, as well as new business initiatives including big ambitious bets.
- Lead and support end-to-end deal and strategic partnership process. This includes developing the partner strategy, engaging external partners’ senior executives, developing a mutually beneficial commercial construct, contract negotiation and implementation.
- Collaborate with internal cross-functional teams across operation, marketing, product, legal, comms, finance and engineering locally, regionally and globally to bring “first of the kind” partnerships to life.
- Develop long term, mutually beneficial relationships with senior executives of current and prospective strategic partners who assist in the delivery of Uber's growth.
- Drive individual deal performance accountability by creating clear and measurable goals aligned with the national business strategy.
- Handle a high volume of internal and external engagements and the fast pace of our company.
- 15+ years experience in strategic business development, management consulting, investment banking or sales with exposure to the tech industry, the consumer facing industry offering digital service, telco industry, management consulting, investment banking, private equity or corporate M&A experience - we will consider candidates with less experience if they meet our other requirements.
- Well-rounded profile: ability to combine business, strategy, finance and legal concepts to lead sophisticated, multidimensional deals.
- Strategic problem solver with strong business acumen and an ability to effectively lead priorities in a highly matrixed, fast-paced organization.
- Highly analytical with strong financial modeling and sophisticated problem solving skills.
- Experience in cultivating and growing strategic business partnerships.
- Excellent judgment, positive demeanor, hustle, validated history of success.
- A track record of delivering deals by leveraging product or other technology solutions.
- Strong social skills which allow you to build trust and negotiate hard with partners, and adeptly lead the cross-functional coordination (product, local operations, engineering, finance, legal) required to implement deals
- Adaptability to change within a fast paced corporate environment.
- High fluency in both Japanese & English
- We provide our employees with monthly Uber credits to use against the full value of Eats & Rides (whichever applicable in your market) plus a 17% discount (excluding non-restaurant food deliveries) on orders through our App (which exists even when your credits expire).
- Family comes first, and our paid parental leave (18 weeks full pay) is accessible for all new parents from day 1 (with no tenure requirement). New parents at Uber will also receive access to Cleo, flexible return to work options, and additional Uber credits during their period of leave (because let's face it, who wants to cook with a little one around?)
- Starting a family is a magical journey - At the same time, it can be challenging and stressful. Employees are eligible to reimburse costs relating to infertility treatment, egg/sperm freezing, adoption and surrogacy up to a lifetime benefit limit.
- Reset, Refresh and Recharge: we have a generous paid leave policy, providing paid leave in addition to the statutory annual leave (excluding certain roles within the Community Operations). Additional eligibility requirements apply.
- Personal health and wellbeing - depending on location, you can access a healthcare plan or reimbursement for a plan of your choice up to a nominated value. You will also receive a monthly wellbeing allowance to use throughout the year across a range of items including; gym / fitness memberships, mindfulness apps, fitness equipment, ski passes and more. We also provide Employee Assistance Programs (EAP) that connect you to resources & support.
- Uber has always been a flexible organisation and COVID has only amplified this. Our global policy is 50% of time in office, and employees can apply to be fully remote if you think that’s best for you. We also provide opportunities to work for one month a year in another Uber location. These opportunities are tailored to specific individuals, roles and teams, subject to the applicable terms and conditions. Uber also offers a program to our employees to cover the expense of commuting to and from the office.
- When you are in the office, we have an amazing range of facilities accessible for all Uber employees. Our dedicated facilities teams host regular events and opportunities to connect, as well as arranging the food program; catered lunch / breakfast (location dependant) and you’ll find our kitchens fully stocked with a variety of healthy (& not so healthy) snacks & drinks.
- Based on the combination of business needs and personal interest, we provide language learning support so you can improve your English or Japanese, through our carefully vetted vendor partner. This will include both 1:1 private coaching lessons, group learning sessions, as well as online learning.
See more open positions at Uber
Something looks off?