Operations Lead, Uber Direct - France
About the role
Since 2020, Delivery at Uber has grown tremendously on the back of increased demand caused by the pandemic. Merchants across all categories have increased their investment and interest in their digital and delivery offering. Without having their own on-demand logistics capability, merchants are looking for a partner who can fulfill the requirement for last-mile delivery. With millions of drivers and couriers providing on-demand logistics through our existing marketplaces, Uber is well positioned to allow merchants to use our network of couriers, fulfilling the on-demand last-mile-delivery service for orders to their own app and website.
Uber Direct is a recent business that focuses on last-mile delivery across all verticals - Online Food Delivery, Grocery, Retail, Ecommerce - empowering merchants to deliver orders generated on their own channels (outside of Uber’s marketplaces) with the most convenient experience. Direct is rapidly growing the ways in which Uber connects the world. Uber Direct has the potential to be Uber next multi-billion dollar business.
This role will be a part of a recently formed Direct team in France, and will be working very closely with the Eats and Grocery & Retail teams in France, the EMEA central Direct team and cross-functional counterparts worldwide.
As Operations Lead for Uber Direct in France, you will build the operations capabilities required to grow and scale our last-mile delivery business in France (for instance launching a new delivery fleet, identifying new product features and building the case for prioritizing them, designing processes for our merchants and commercial teams, building the analytical foundations to track and improve our operations). You will play a leadership role on a cross-functional team, executing towards our vision and strategy of connecting e-commerce to final consumers. You will collaborate across internal teams including product, finance, legal, compliance, and commercial teams to bring the best of delivery to our customers! And contribute to building this new promising business line in France !
What You Will Do
As Operations Lead for Uber Direct in France, be a strategic pillar of the Uber Direct team, to support the growth of the France business:
- Build additional logistic capabilities for Direct- Launch new fleets to address additional delivery use-cases (e.g. new categories of products, new delivery geographical areas). Launch new products (e.g. white-label customer service).
- Build & optimize scalable processes & tools - Design and build robust processes to optimize our operations and unit economics. Build new processes for the account management team to automate low-value tasks and enhance the impact of our team. Automate everything that can be automated. Exchange best practices with your international counterparts.
- Support commercial teams on strategic partnerships - Constantly seek solutions for improving the product market fit of Direct. Understand the needs of each customer segment (Food, Grocery, Retail) and be a thought partner to the Sales and Account Management team to accelerate our go-to-market. Find tactical solutions to answer unexpected merchants needs and work with international counterparts and product teams to build new features as needed.
- Be the voice of the French market toward Product teams- Maintain links between on-the-ground teams and our Product teams for everything we need to build on the Product front for our Direct business. Be the voice of the French market, helping to prioritize future application changes, and help launch all the new product features. You will also collaborate and lead projects involving cross-functional teams like Legal, Employment, Comms, Merchant Support, etc.
- Leverage data to deeply understand our operational performance and identify improvement areas- Define the right KPIs to monitor the performance, understand our merchants’ challenges and always look for ways to improve our operations. Build analytical frameworks, operational models and dashboards and leverage those data to convert them into actionable initiatives.
What You Will Need
- Min 5 years of experience in Operations in a start-up / scale-up or growing a business or other relevant experience (incl. at least one experience as a manager)
- Experience in leading a growing team, setting the right expectations and objectives and driving the team toward success
- Expertise in the delivery / logistic space and good knowledge of the retail / e-commerce industry
- Strong appetence for operational and tech topics, ability to juggle multiple priorities at the same time
- Analytical & critical thinking and experience with data-driven decision-making, ability to deal with data and exercise good judgment in ambiguous circumstances
- Ability to switch from strategic / conceptual thinking to pragmatic / operational topics, not afraid of getting your hands dirty
- Empathetic when dealing with different people; able to quickly build relationships with external and internal partners
- Great business acumen and judgment. Comfortable dealing with financial information and thoughtful about overall strategic choices. Ability to seize and prioritize opportunities based on feasibility and potential
- Entrepreneurial mindset and pro-activity
- High adaptability to change and ability to execute quickly.
- Experience with SQL is a plus, or comfortable learning and using new software tools
- Proficiency in English and French
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.